I’m thrilled to unveil this Horse Carousel Macaron Cake I made in collaboration with my favourite brand for silicone mats – Silpat. I have used Silpats since the very first few months of making macarons at home and I’ve always loved how they keep macaron shells round after piping.
This cake took several weeks to design since I needed to find the right materials and create proper sized macaron templates. It needed to yield shells that could be stably stacked on top of one another. This cake went to a height that I’ve never gone to in the past and I even had to build it a few times since certain configurations caused them to topple over. Now that I’m done, I am sharing the templates with you so you don’t have to figure out those technicalities yourself.
You can see that I’ve utilized several different shell sizes. Usually I pipe different sizes on different mats and bake them separately since smaller shells require less bake time. But for this project, my friends at Silpat came to the rescue with these toaster sized oven mats. It allowed me to put two mats side by side perfectly onto one tray. I put them in the oven at the same time but pull out the smaller set at 13 min. while the larger set baked for a further 12 min. I was elated since this saved a ton of time and I love how easy it is to wash the smaller mats. They don’t wriggle as much so won’t splash water all over the sink and they are easier to store as well. It’s also a great size for those who live in smaller spaces with only a small oven.
Here is the link to the mat: (disclosure:this is an affiliate link)
- Big Macaron cakes take longer to rest and bake. Read this post for more details on how to bake a big macaron cake.
- The upper big baby blue shell is slightly smaller than the bottom one in order for the lollipop to stick to the edge of the shell.
- The baby blue colour was achieved by using 2 drops of Sky Blue from Americolor and a little bit of Violet to step down the yellow color from the almonds. This will help achieve a “bluer” blue but still keep it a light blue.
- I used edible gold and silver metallic paint to decorate the horse candy lollipop.
- When applying the horse lollipop to the cake, put the stick inside the small ball of fondant and then apply the edible glue onto the edge of the big macaron shell. You will need to hold it for a while until it dries.
3 Inch Macaron Template – pipe 5 shells
3.5 Inch Macaron Template – pipe 2 shells
4.25 Inch Macaron Template – pipe 2 shells
Disclosure: Silpat sponsored review. All opinions are my own.
The two winners for the SILPAT mat giveaway are Jalene Hutseal from Facebook and Shweta Gupta from Instagram. Thanks so much to everyone for entering! I appreciate you all for your constant support of my work. I love reading all your feedback and appreciate the shares of my work on social media. To thank you all, I’m giving away one more Bonus Prize of this Cute 10 Piece Baking Kit:
- heart cake pan
- 2 heart biscuit cutters
- 3 bear cutter – can be used to make “bear holding a nut” cookie
- bear fork and spoon set – perfect for photos
- decorative edge scraper for cake
- mini alphabet stamp set for fondant, gumpaste and cookies – awesome for making customized signature cookies
To enter, just leave a comment on my latest Instagram post that you want to be included and that’s it. And if you have a Pinterest account, pls. help me pin this carousel or any of my other work to your boards. Let me know if you do so I can thank you and come check out your boards too.
(I’ll choose one winner on October 10th, 2016. You must have a Canadian or US shipping address. By entering, you confirm you are 19+ years of age. Contest not affiliated with Instagram)
Other Macaron Posts You Might Like
February 11th, 2017
February 14th, 2018
July 20th, 2016