Forever Searching for Cute Macaron Boxes
I have been searching for years to find a suitable box for my character macarons. It's only in the last little while that macaron boxes for regular round macarons have been easily accessible to the general public while there still seems to be a complete absence of boxes made specially for character macarons. Such a box should ideally be shallow since the best way to show off their sweet faces is when they are shown face up instead of on its side. And, of course, the box needs to have a clear top in order for the gift recipient to take a peek and be absolutely blown away by the cute mac babies inside the box 🙂 Ok, I might be exaggerating a little but you get the point. And if you are thinking of making character macarons, here's a great tutorial to start with. Rikuma Bear Macarons using All-Batter Technique.
This is one of my favorite projects so far and I hope it makes your baking life just a bit easier too.
Supplies for Homemade Gift Boxes
Now back to making these boxes. Take a look at the short video showing you how I did it and you'll also need all the supplies listed below:
- 2 colorful round plates of your choice (Plate size in video is 7inches, purchased at the Dollar Store for $1.50 for 8 pcs)
- Piece of ribbon (Ribbon length in video is 30 inches which allows for tying a small ribbon on the bottom.)
- Food-safe acetate film. Here's a link to a manufacturer who sells it (affiliate link): Baking Acetate Roll - Transparent Membrane ACETATE SHEET. If you can't get access to it, you can also use clear overlay film like this one found at Michaels - direct product link. Just make sure that your box has enough height clearance so that the film doesn't directly touch your macarons.)
- Round object a bit smaller than your plate.
- Flower shaped hole puncher. (The one used in video is Daisy 1 inches/2.54 centimeter from Recollections at Michaels.)
- Foam adhesive mini circles for creating 3D flower effect. These double sided "foam tape" adds dimension to your projects. (Purchased at Michaels - direct product link)
- Reinforcement labels. Take the small center dot and use it as the pistil for the flower.
- Glue gun
- X-acto knife
- Hole punches
- Foam cutting board
Bunny Macaron Templates
Available for download for Newsletter Subscribers. Just sign up for the newsletter and wait for the double opt-in confirmation email. Confirm your subscription and you’ll be sent the password to the member’s only area.