UPDATED ON MARCH 5th, 2018, this post was originally published on April 28th, 2017.
Gender Reveal Macarons with a Different Colored Inside
I developed this special technique for making macarons with a different colored inside a few years ago for a special gender reveal party. On the outside, it looks a like a plain blackout macaron but once you crack it open, you get a full and fluffy pink inside!
My Little Secret No More
For the longest time this technique has remained my little secret since I was saving it to recreate for friends and family, hopefully, giving them a very one-of-a-kind gift. After many reader requests, I’m sharing it with you today.
What you’ll need besides the usual supplies for making macarons:
- Pink or Blue gel food color
- Black gel food color
- Round tip #10 for pink batter
- Round tip #6 for black batter
- Macaron Recipe
- How to Prevent Hollow Macarons Guide
Here’s the short video tutorial I made for you:
Tips on Making Gender Reveal Macarons:
- It’s very important that the macaron shells are NOT hollow. Otherwise, it won’t work. Make sure you read my How to Prevent Hollow Macarons Guide if you’re having problems with that issue.
- A steady hand is crucial, pipe quickly and decisively.
- Wait until the first layer develops a thin skin before you attempt piping another layer.
- Tapping the tray after piping the black colour is very important. This will allow the tops to smooth out.
- Once you’ve piped the black color, rest the shells and wait until it develops a thin skin before you bake it. (This is a personal preference for bakers as some do not like or “need” to rest their macarons shells.)
- Only black gel colour was used for these macarons. It is possible to achieve a very black batter with gel colour only. If you’re still having trouble achieving a dark colored batter, try adding some black food color powder color in conjunction with the gel color.
A Simpler Version
If you’d like to recreate a simpler version of this, you can make regular macarons with my Best Macaron Recipe. Once baked, take two equal sized shells, pipe a ring of white buttercream along the outer edge of one shell, fill in the center with a dallop of pink or blue buttercream, lastly, assemble the two shells together. Once your guests bite into it, they will see the colour of the gender.
I’ve also created a special pacifier template for you to make pacifier macarons for your next baby shower or gender reveal party. I hope you enjoy it.
Remember to sign up for my Newsletter to get the password to the Subscriber’s Only Area of the site where there will be more deluxe templates.
Large pacifier macaron template. Download now:
Medium pacifier macaron template. Exclusively available for Newsletter Subscribers:
More Macaron Art
June 18th, 2017